Friday, May 13, 2011

Introduction to me and my blog

My name is Sarah Benefield. My purpose in creating this blog is to fulfill an assignment for MLIS 7505 (Applied Technology for Library Practice), one of the courses I am taking to complete my Master's in Library Science. I've never created a blog before, so I feel a bit odd about this. I haven't even kept a diary since middle school. This blog is supposed to document my experiences within this technology course. I am already overwhelmed. Blogging I can handle. We are also supposed to create an RSS feed and subscribe to an RSS feed. I don't even yet know what an RSS feed is. We are also supposed to describe what we would look for in a wiki for our library, fictitious or real. But, I know all of this will be useful for running a library one day, so here goes nothing!

To provide a little background about myself, I grew up in a little bitty town in southwestern Georgia. I currently live one town over, in a slightly less little bitty town which is about 35 minutes from Dothan, Alabama, and about 30 minutes from the Florida line. I can make it to Tallahassee in about an hour and a half (unless my husband is driving -- then it might be just over an hour).
I graduated from Thomas University (Thomasville) in 2005 with my B.S. in Secondary English Education. I have been teaching since 2005, and I have taught literature and composition in grades 9, 10, and 11, as well as English Language Arts in grade 8. I currently teach both 8th and 9th grades, since my school is a 6-12 combination.
I am married (8 years this June!), and have two furry children. We have a Great Dane named Isis, who is really like a child in so many ways. She'll be 10 months old this weekend. She's already 30 inches tall and weighs about 100 lbs. She even has acne, so she's more like a teenager. :-) We also have a kitten, a rescue that we found in the middle of the road one night. She's a special little kitty, and she has her issues, but she's a sweetie.
I have always had a love of books. I can't ever remember a time in my life when I didn't know how to read. My mom loves telling me (and anyone who will listen) about how my kindergarten classroom ran out of books for me and had to go to the first grade teacher to get more. I chose English as my focus for teaching, and I think I will enjoy the library so much more. Surrounded by books, all day long -- I can't imagine a better job!

I am going to spend this weekend reading about RSS feeds and wikis, so I'll have more experiences to report over the weekend. Experience 1 - Blogging isn't so bad. I can't imagine why anyone would want to read about my life, but since that isn't really my concern in this case, I'll live with being boring. Maybe this will be cathartic. And maybe now my husband won't have to be the only sounding board for my class issues. I know he'll be relieved. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment